Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A New Test

People often assume, upon hearing that I'm going to med school, that I majored in the sciences "or something like that." I've been met with looks ranging from surprised pleasure to confused disdain after telling them that I did, in fact, major in English.

This blog stems out of that fact.

I majored in English, and while I start medical school soon (read: in approximately 1 week) I fear that my major will be, as so many people have said, irrelevant. While the specific focus/major of a person attending med school doesn't matter (only that they've completed the necessary pre-reqs), I don't want my English degree to be meaningless. As most people who know me can attest, I love to read. Perhaps to a level of obsession. I also love to write and just seem to love the English language in general. I don't want this passion/obsession to fall by the wayside while I plunge (or drown) headfirst into the murky sea of medicine. (Ignore the fact that the above explanation implies something falling...by the wayside...of a sea...that people swim in?)

The point is:

I want to write and think about language. To not lose what I've given so much time to thus far. So, I will attempt (for now) to chronicle my thoughts and experiences as a medical student here. I cannot promise you anything except that this blog will inevitably contain some pretty strange writings, and I assure you that my holding an English degree does not mean I will write well. Enjoy.

2 comments:

nanaw said...

I will look forward to seeing more of your writings. I'm kinda thinking your just trying to up your sister on the blogging.lol:) You were definetly on the money about your obsession for reading. Good Job son.

Trevor said...

Well, glad the question has finally been solved. Look forward to reading.

Post a Comment