Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lest I Forget

Things to remember (or be reminded of):
I chose to be a doctor and want to learn medicine. For all of the debt, time-sucks, struggles and stresses I will face as a med student, let me remember that I chose this path and for good reason. While I might get fed up with the hours, the tediousness, the paperwork, the emotions, the unruly patients, the failure, the system/bureaucracy, and the general downside of it all, let me use that frustration to highlight the immense potential for good this profession will allow me. I do not know exactly what I am getting myself into, but let me accept and experience it all together; appreciate it all; use it all.

Never think yourself better or more deserving than another.

Everyone deserves care (there's a reason you like the idea of a SP Universal system).

Be humble and intelligent enough to say, "I don't know."

Never discount the small victories or joy taken from something, even if others find it insignificant.

Always strive to learn more, be it from a class, a patient, a colleague, or a mistake.

Things to remember from someone who knows more than me and has done it for years:
-Keep your head on straight.
-You have the tools.
-Don't be dazzled by bullshit.
-Separate facts from fiction and "conventional advice."
-Make sure all things pass the smell test for veracity, virtue, and truth.
-Have fun.


Now, in an ideal world, I'd never even have to look at this post because I will be so perfect in school and never doubt myself and things will be peachy and never difficult or rough and life will be fantastic and the sky will be made of Jello (and stop global warming, duh) and the ground of marshmallows and gummy bears and no one would get diabetes from living in a land of sugar.

I don't think so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey don't psych yourself up so much. Its just another school that happens to cost more. So maybe you wouldn't get stright "A" You'll do great! I'm positive you've got a better understanding and are more prepared than all the other kids. You'll be a tutor in no time. lol
daD

Shannon said...

I'm betting you'll still get straight A's. Ignore daD. Well, except for the better than thte other kids part. That was spot on.

Ahem.

I was wondering if you could give me directions to this non-diabetes inducing, marshmallow and gummy bear land? I'm assuming that the rivers are made of milk chocolate and it rains gumdrops? If so, I need a one-way ticket.

Seriously though, you'll do great. There is no such thing as an ideal world. Even as a stay at home mom, I need reminders (sometimes daily!) to remember and focus on the good stuff. You've got the right attitude!

Post a Comment