Friday, January 1, 2010

A New Decade

2010, eh? I'm down with that (but really only if we call the 00s the aughts like we're supposed to).

While everyone seems to be excited about the new year (and sure, I'll go along with that), I'm more excited about the prospect of a new official decade. When I look back at the past decade, my mind explodes when I see just how much of my life has changed (and oddly stayed the same)

What changed? During the aughts I:

-cycled through middle school, high school, college, and am now studying medicine.

-have lived in three different towns and progressed from living at home to living "on my own" with people who are essentially brothers (if I didn't already have 3 good ones- that I gained in this past decade) to being wonderfully married.

-went from being an awkward and strange single teen to an awkward and strange (but very lucky) husband.

-became an uncle to not one, not two, but three hilarious boys.

What didn't change? I still:

-read incessantly (but like to think that I read better now thanks to that whole college degree thing)

-play and/or unabashedly enjoy video games/comic books/computers/tv shows/etc. (although I like to think my that tastes have refined)

-maintain a ridiculous competitive streak that school has been kind enough to keep alive.


The point of all this? I don't really know. Perhaps just to stop for a moment and think back at what's happened and changed over the past 10 years. You should, too. This is, after all, your life. Don't forget the immortal words of advice.

Until next time.

Edit: Upon reading this post, my new year resolution will be to slash my use of parenthesis. My bad.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Okay, okay here is your comment ;) By the way, I think that the over use of parenthesis is genetic. I'm the same way (just in case you never noticed)!

nanaw said...

Have I said recently just how much I love you two? You guys have a way of making your mama smile. :)

Caleb Sommerville said...

Dude, Oblivion wasted an entire semester of college for me. And I usually hate RPGs. And it was my roommate's game and PS3.
As for LOST, it continues to take up a lot of glorious time.

Post a Comment